09:54:01


[Login]   
[Book List]  

PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at www.virtualjudaica.com/
.

 
Bidding Information
Lot #    11072
Auction End Date    7/12/2005 2:31:00 PM (mm/dd/yyyy)
          
Title Information
Title (English)    Shulhan Arukh ha-Rav, v. 3
Title (Hebrew)    שולחן ערוך הרב, חלק ג'
Author    [Habad] R. Shneur Zalman of Liady
City    Zhitomir
Publisher    Haninah Lippa & Joshua Heschel Shapira
Publication Date    1862
          
Collection Information
Independent Item    This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
          
Description Information
Physical
Description
   [4], 455 ff., 204:147 mm., usual age staining. A very good copy loose in contemporary cloth boards, rubbed. Rare - unseen by Mundschein, CD-EPI records on private copy.
          
Detailed
Description
   Shulhan Arukh, v. 3, laws of Passover.

R. Shneur Zalman of Liady (1745–1813), the founder of Chabad Hasidism. He was according to family traditions born in Liozna, Belorussia, on the 18th of Elul. After his marriage in 1760 he devoted himself to Torah study. Concluding that he knew "a little about learning, but nothing about prayer" in 1764 he decided to learn about Hasidism from R. Dov Baer the Maggid of Mezhirech, leader of the Hasidic movement. In Mezhirech he became one of the inner circle of the Maggid's pupils. Although he was one of the youngest pupils, the Maggid had a high opinion of him, and in 1770 delegated to him the task of composing a new and up-to-date Shulhan Arukh. R. Shneur Zalman worked on this book for many years, but published only small parts of it. About one-third was printed posthumously (the rest had been destroyed by fire) and is known as the "Shulhan Arukh of the Rav" (1814). Though not a chasidic work, it represents - as the Maggid had intended - a great halakhic achievement. It evidences R. Shneur Zalman's superb Hebrew style, his ability to provide lucid explanation, and profundity without complexity. It became an authoritative halakhic source among observant Jews.

In 1847 the Shapira printing press was established by the three brothers Hanina Lipa, Aryeh Leib, and Joshua Heschel Shapira, sons of R. Samuel Abraham Abba Shapira, the printer in Slavuta. Until 1862 this was one of the only two Hebrew presses the Russian government permitted to operate in the whole of Russia, the other being in Vilna. This press had 18 hand presses and four additional large presses. In 1851 Aryeh Leib broke away and established his own printing press in Zhitomir. In these two establishments only sacred books of every kind were printed.

          
Paragraph 2    נדפס דף-על-דף ושורה-על-שורה על-פי זיטאמיר תרי"ח-תרי"ט, פרט למהדורא בתרא (עמ' 478-460) בחלק ב ולשאלות ותשובות בחלק ד.
          
Reference
Description
   CD-EPI 0181054; EJ
        
Associated Images
2 Images (Click thumbnail to view full size image):
  Order   Image   Caption
  1   Click to view full size  
  
  2   Click to view full size  
  
  
Listing Classification
Period
19th Century:    Checked
  
Location
Russia-Poland:    Checked
  
Subject
Hasidic:    Checked
Halacha:    Checked
  
Characteristic
Language:    Hebrew
  
Manuscript Type
  
Kind of Judaica