08:14:53


[Login]   
[Book List]  

PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at www.virtualjudaica.com/
.

 
Bidding Information
Lot #    12431
Auction End Date    12/20/2005 10:42:00 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
          
Title Information
Title (English)    Feier in Veranlassung der Einfuhrung
Title (Hebrew)    Oberrabbiner Dr. M. Lerner
Author    [Only Ed. - Community]
City    Altona
Publisher    Gebruder Bonn
Publication Date    1894
          
Collection Information
Independent Item    This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
          
Description Information
Physical
Description
   Only edition. 8 pp., 223:147 mm., wide margins, light age staining. A very good copy bound as published.
          
Detailed
Description
   Service for the installation of Dr. M. Lerner as rabbi of the Hochdeutschen Israeliten-Gemeinde on June 5, 1894 in Altona.

R. Dr. Mayer b. Mordecai Lerner (18571930) was born in Czestochowa (Poland). He studied first in Cracow but completed his studies in the Rabbiner-Seminar in Berlin. While still a student at the seminary he wrote his important work Anlage und Quellen des Bereschit Rabba (1882). He was appointed rabbi of Wintzenheim, Alsace, in 1884 and remained there until 1890, when he became rabbi of the Federation of Synagogues in London, which then consisted of 23 synagogues. In 1894 he was appointed rabbi of Altona and of Schleswig-Holstein. Lerner vigorously opposed the historical approach of Graetz and the Reform movement in Germany.

Lerner's main talmudic works are his Hadar ha-Karmel (1891), responsa, including some talmudic novellae; and Hayyei Olam (1905) on the prohibition of cremation. His research works, in addition to the above-mentioned Quellen include "Die aeltesten Mischna - Kompositionen" (MWJ, 13 (1886), 120) and his magnum opus, Torat ha-Mishnah, dealing with the origin of the oral tradition, of which, however, only the first part appeared (1915). He also showed an active interest in the Jewish settlement of Palestine and in 1905 founded the association Moriah whose aims were "to restore the ancient ruins, and the national and religious culture of the Jews." The association was opposed both to the Mizrachi and the Zionist movements, and in 1930 merged with the Agudat Israel movement.

          
Reference
Description
   E. Duckesz, Ivvah le-Moshav (1903), 1369; Weingarten, in: J. L. Fishman (ed.), Sefer ha-Mizrachi (1946), 10310; Bath-Yehudah, in: AZD, 3 (1965), 26670; EJ
        
Associated Images
2 Images (Click thumbnail to view full size image):
  Order   Image   Caption
  1   Click to view full size  
  
  2   Click to view full size  
  
  
Listing Classification
Period
19th Century:    Checked
  
Location
Germany:    Checked
  
Subject
History:    Checked
Liturgy:    Checked
  
Characteristic
First Editions:    Checked
Language:    German, Hebrew
  
Manuscript Type
  
Kind of Judaica