||A history of Tirat Zevi, which also serves as a memorial book to the soldiers from Tirat Zevi who had given their lives for their country. Members of the kibbutz edited this booklet. The maps and the drawing on the front cover were done Ben-Uri. Defus HaPo’el HaMizrahi printed the booklet in Tel Aviv.
Tirat Zevi: kibbutz in central Israel, 6 mi. (10 km.) S.E. of Beth-Shean, affiliated with Ha-Kibbutz ha-Dati. Tirat Zevi was founded in 1937 as one of the first, and the southernmost, of the tower and stockade outposts in the Beth-Shean Valley, by Ha-Po'el ha-Mizrachi pioneers from central Europe. In the 1936–39 Arab riots, Tirat Zevi had to repulse frequent attacks. In the early stage of the War of Independence (1948), strong Arab forces commanded by Fawzi al-Kaukji assaulted Tirat Zevi but were beaten back after suffering heavy casualties. After the Six-Day War (1967), the kibbutz became the object of repeated shelling from beyond the nearby Jordan border. Since its founding, Tirat Zevi has occupied a central place in the religious settlement movement, and its members are active in religious study and education. In 1968, the kibbutz had 385 inhabitants, and in the mid-1990s it had 763. Its farming consists of irrigated field and fodder crops, carp ponds, etc., and it has a sausage and smoked-meat factory. Its name "Castle of Zevi" commemorates Rabbi Zevi Hirsh Kalischer.