PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
12/20/2005 11:51:00 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Begriff und Programm einer
[Only Ed. - Zionism] Moritz Goldstein
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
Only edition. 21 pp., 230:155 mm., light age staining, wide margins. A very good copy bound in the original paper wrappers.
Moritz Goldstein, 1880-1977, wrote this essay on Jewish literature for the series Die Jüdische Gemeinschaft: redden und Aufsätze über Zeitgenössische fragen des Jüdsichen volkes, herausgegeben von Dr. Ahron Eliasberg, which dealt with contemporary issues. Jüdischer Verlag was the first Jewish-Zionist publishing house in Western Europe. It was established in 1902 by M. Buber; B. Feiwel, E. M. Lilien, L. Motzkin, A. Nossig, Ch. Weizmann, et al., who constituted the core of the Democratic Fraction. The publishing house was to serve as an expression of the Jewish renaissance by publishing the spiritual, cultural, literary, and artistic treasures of the Jewish people over the ages as a basis for the spiritual-cultural rebirth of the Jewish people. The idea had received Herzl's support at the Fifth Zionist Congress (1901). The aim of the plan was to supplement the political activities of the Zionist Organization and to serve as a bridge between Western and Eastern Jews. The first book, Juedischer Almanach (1902) edited by Feiwel and Lilien, included authors from both East and West and presented all types of literary works, some of them translated from Hebrew and Yiddish. The second book, Eine juedische Hochschule (1902), written by Buber, Feiwel, and Weizmann (translated into Hebrew in 1968 by S. Esh with a preface by S. H. Bergman), voiced for the first time the idea of establishing a Hebrew University in Jerusalem. Until 1920 it was directed by A. Eliasberg, and from 1920 on by S. Kaznelson. The firm passed through periods of prosperity and times of crisis. It flourished especially under the direction of Kaznelson, when it became one of the greatest Jewish publishing firms in the world, maintained without external support. Among the hundreds of books published by it were the works of Ahad Ha-Am, Herzl, Nordau, A. D. Gordon, Agnon (in Hebrew and in German), Bialik, J. L. Peretz, Mendele Mokher Seforim, and Bergelson, Dubnow's Weltgeschichte des Juedischen Volkes, the five volume Juedisches Lexikon, L. Goldschmidt's German translation of the Talmud in twelve volumes, Adolf Boehm's Die Zionistische Bewegung, Tur-Sinai's German translation of the Bible, the book "Yizkor" (dedicated to Ha-Shomer in Erez Israel), Trumpeldor's diaries, Jabotinsky's book on the Jewish Legion, the monthly Der Jude, edited by Buber, etc. The distribution of some books was extraordinarily large (Dubnow's works on Jewish history and history of Hasidism, 100,000 copies; the Juedisches Lexikon, 50,000 copies; the translation of the Talmud, 100,000 copies; Herzl's works and diaries, 30,000 copies). In 1938 the firm was closed by the Gestapo and its warehouse confiscated. S Kaznelson, who had settled in Palestine, continued the work of the Juedischer Verlag on a small scale through a daughter company, Hoza'ah Ivrit, in partial partnership with the Dvir Publishing Company, Ltd. The company's work is continued by Kaznelson's heirs in Berlin.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica