||Statutes of the Vienna Jewish Municipal Organization. The statutes are divided into fourteen parts with one hundred subdivisions and include three appendices (numbered 1,2, and four), and a table of contents. The major divisions are the provence (gebiet) of the Kultusgemeinde; the duties (aufgaben) of the Kultusgemeinde; religious professionals, responsibilities, and various activities. The appendices include electoral regulations. The statutes conclude with permission clauses (genehmigungs-klauseln) dated from 1896 through 26 May, 1920.
This is an important record of the organization activities of the Jewish community of Vienna, one of the leading Jewish communities of pre-war central Europe. During the second half of the 19th century and the first decades of the 20th, the period covered by the Statut der Israelitischen Kultusgemeinde, the Jewish population of Vienna increased as a result of immigration there by Jews from other regions of the empire, particularly Hungary, Galicia, and Bukovina. There were 3,739 Jews living in Vienna in 1846, 9,731 in 1850, and about 15,000 in 1854. After 1914 about 50,000 refugees from Galicia and Bukovina established themselves there, so that by 1923 there were 201,513 Jews living in Vienna, which had become the third largest Jewish community in Europe. In 1936 there were 176,034 Jews in Vienna (8% of the total population). The occupations of the Jews in Vienna became more variegated. Many of them entered the liberal professions: out of a total of 2,163 advocates, 1,345 were Jews, and 2,440 of the 3,268 physicians were Jews.