||Title: Freudenklänge gläubiger Seelen: ein Erbauungs- und Unterhaltungsbuch in Erzählungen, Gleichnissen und Betrachtungen.
A volume on the doctrines of Judaism by Leopold Lammfromm, who also wrote Lesebuch fuer Israeliten; zum Gebrauche in Schule und Haus. 1847. The author was a teacher in Buchau am Federsee. Jews were present in Bad Buchau Wuerttemberg in the 16th century and perhaps earlier. Throughout the 18th century, the community was subjected to residence and trade restrictions as well as high taxes leading 12 families to move to the neighboring village of Kappel, where a synagogue was built. The Jewish in Kappel population grew to 155 in 1843 before dwindling to zero in 1900. A Jewish school was opened in 1825 and in 1839 a new synagogue was inaugurated. Its belfry, to summon Jews to prayer, was the only one in Germany. The community grew to 724 by 1854, thereafter shrinking as emigration and the attractions of city life claimed the young. In the second half of the 19th century, Jewish economic life expanded into the textile, food, and leather trades as well as into cattle and land dealings. At the outset of the Nazi era, there were 165 Jews and 38 Jewish business establishments in the town. A Zionist society was also active. Emigration was stepped up after Kristallnacht (9-10 November 1938), when the synagogue was burned, Jews beaten, and Jewish property pillaged. In all, 80 Jews left Germany; the rest lost their lives in the Holocaust. The ancient Jewish cemetery with its 1,000 burial plots has been preserved by the local city council.