PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
12/20/2005 2:11:30 PM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Das jüdisch-theologischen Seminars
Fraenchel'scher Stiftung zu Breslau
[Only Ed. - Community]
Grass, Barth und Comp.
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
Only edition, , 75,  pp., 222:155 mm., wide margins, light age staining, stamps. A very good copy bound in contemporary half cloth and marbled paper boards.
The Juedisch-Theologisches Seminar, Breslau, was the first modern rabbinical seminary in Central Europe. Founded in 1854 with the funds which Jonas Fraenkel, a prominent Breslau businessman, had willed for the purpose, the seminary became the model for similar colleges set up in Europe and the U.S. Its first head was Z. Frankel. The seminary also trained teachers until 1887 and this training was resumed in the 1920s and 1930s. However, the seminary's basic aim was to teach "positive historical Judaism." The "positive" stood for a faithful adherence to the practical precepts of Judaism, while "historical" permitted free inquiry into the Jewish past, including even Bible criticism, though with some self-imposed limitations. Thus the Breslau seminary, under Fraenkel's guidance, took a middle position between dogmatic Orthodoxy, as represented by R. S. R. Hirsch and R. A. Hildesheimer's Rabbinical Seminary, and Geiger's Lehranstalt (Hochschule) fuer die Wissenschaft des Judentums, officially an academic institution without ideology, but in fact largely a training college for Reform rabbis. Many of its graduates became rabbis in Liberal or Reform congregations, some in Orthodox ones.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica