02:53:47


[Login]   
[Book List]  

PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at www.virtualjudaica.com/
.

 
Bidding Information
Lot #    13940
Auction End Date    4/25/2006 10:00:30 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
          
Title Information
Title (English)    Certificate of appreciation to
Title (Hebrew)    Graf Rudolf von Wrbna und Freudenthal
Author    [Ms. - Community - Vellum]
City    Holleschau, Moravia
Publication Date    1864
          
Collection Information
Independent Item    This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
          
Description Information
Physical
Description
   [1] p., 620:406 mm., light age staining, ink on vellum, decorated in gild, signed by the community leaders, dated, sealed in wax on silver and attached with string.
          
Detailed
Description
   Certificate of appreciation to Rudolf von Wrbna und Freudenthal Graf of Wrbna and Freudenthal for his good deeds in assisting the Jews of Holleschau, Moravia, gain emanicipation. Holleschau (Holesov), town in Moravia, has a Jew was mentioned in the town in 1391. A community was founded in the first half of the 16th century; its only relic is the breastplate of a Torah scroll of 1549, as the synagogue and all archives were destroyed in a fire. The synagogue was rebuilt in 1560. There were 50 Jewish houses in Holesov in 1629, and the oldest known tombstone dates from 1647. At the Holesov synod of 1653 the 311 takkanot of Moravian Jewry were emended. The community was at its height under the leadership of R. Shabbetai b. Meir ha-Cohen (166268). In connection with Maria Theresa's plan to expel the Jews from Moravia (1742), the synagogue and its silver were seized and the notables arrested. In 1774, when a Christian maidservant was found murdered in a Jewish house, the Catholic clergy saved the household from the mob by surrounding the building with altars. There were 194 Jewish families (1,032 persons) living in 49 houses in Holesov in 1794, as against 554 Christian families (2,973 persons) dwelling in 256 houses. In the 19th century Holesov was one of Moravia's politische Gemeinden, the local lord serving as the mayor.

After World War II a small community was reestablished. The Jewish quarter was restored, including the cemetery and the old synagogue, which from 1964 housed a museum of Moravian Jewry, a branch of the Jewish State Museum in Prague. Community records, hevra kaddisha statutes, and other documents covering the years from 1653 to 1914 were preserved in the National Library in Jerusalem and in the Bodleian Library in Oxford. R. Johanan b. Isaac, rabbi of the Hambro Synagogue of the London Ashkenazi community at the beginning of the 18th century, was a native of Holesov, as was Gerson Wolf, the historian.

          
Reference
Description
   EJ
        
Associated Images
2 Images (Click thumbnail to view full size image):
  Order   Image   Caption
  1   Click to view full size  
  
  2   Click to view full size  
  
  
Listing Classification
Period
19th Century:    Checked
  
Location
Other:    Moravia
  
Subject
History:    Checked
  
Characteristic
Parchment or vellum:    Checked
Language:    German
  
Manuscript Type
Other:    Certificate
  
Kind of Judaica