22:33:00


[Login]   
[Book List]  

PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at www.virtualjudaica.com/
.

 
Bidding Information
Lot #    14250
Auction End Date    4/25/2006 12:35:00 PM (mm/dd/yyyy)
          
Title Information
Title (English)    A Szilágy-Somlyói 'Sichron-Moséh'
Title (Hebrew)    שטאטוטען דער 'חברת זכרון-משה'
Author    [Community - Only Ed.]
City    Budapest (Pest)
Publisher    Nyom. Márkus Samu
Publication Date    1938
          
Collection Information
Independent Item    This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
          
Description Information
Physical
Description
   Only edition. 9, 11 pp. 223:143 mm.
          
Detailed
Description
   Add. Title: A Szilágy-Somlyói "Sichron-Moséh" Hittudományterjesztó és Jótékonysági egylet Alapszabályai

A listing of the laws governing the group called Hevrat Zichron Moshe in Szilágy-Somlyói, regarding the Talmud Torah and social welfare organizations. This work has two title pages, one in Yiddish and one in Hungarian. The text is in both languages, and each proceeds from its title page. Simleul-Silvaniei (Hung. Szilágy-Somlyói) town in Transylvania, N.W. Rumania; until the end of World War I and between 1940 and 1944 within Hungary. Jews began to settle there during the 18th century. An organized community was established in 1841; from its inception, the community was Orthodox. A synagogue was erected in 1850. In 1885 the community became the official center for the Jews in the surrounding area. The influence of Hasidism was felt, particularly between the two world wars. The Jewish population numbered 838 (18.4% of the total) in 1891; 1,586 (21%) in 1930; and 1,496 (16.4%) in 1941. The community's institutions included an elementary school for boys, opened in 1894, and for girls (1921). The rabbi of the community from 1898 was the Orthodox Samuel Ehrenreich (b. 1863), who was deported in the summer of 1944 with the members of his community to Auschwitz.

During World War II Jews from the vicinity, as well as from outlying regions, were interned in the ghetto which was established in Simleul-Silvaniei. Jews from other towns were also concentrated there before their deportation to Auschwitz. About 7,000 Jews passed through this ghetto on their way to the death camps. Of those who survived after World War II, about 440 Jews gathered in Simleul-Silvaniei in 1947; they rehabilitated the community and maintained the synagogue, still standing in 1971. A rabbi headed the community for a while. The number of Jews subsequently declined as a result of emigration to Israel and other countries. In 1971 there were 40 Jews. Between the two world wars there was also a small Hebrew press in Simleul-Silvaniei. A Hebrew book was printed there in 1960.

          
Paragraph 2    שטאטוטען דער "חברת זכרון-משה" לתלמוד-תורה ולגמילות-חסדים צו סילאגי-שאמלויא
          
Reference
Description
   EJ
        
Associated Images
2 Images (Click thumbnail to view full size image):
  Order   Image   Caption
  1   Click to view full size  
  
  2   Click to view full size  
  
  
Listing Classification
Period
20th Century:    Checked
  
Location
Other:    Hungary
  
Subject
History:    Checked
  
Characteristic
First Editions:    Checked
Language:    Yiddish, Hungarian
  
Manuscript Type
  
Kind of Judaica