Installation ceremony for R. Abraham Prins as rabbi of Groningen, city and province in N. Netherlands. The first information about Jews there dates from 1573. Near the end of the 17th century a number of Jews came to the city of Groningen and its environs from adjacent Germany. By 1757 the Jewish population consisted of 30–40 families. Individual Jews were granted rights of citizenship and of membership in the guild of small retailers. In the second half of the 18th century Jewish communities developed in several towns in the district such as Winschoten, Veendam, Hoogezand, Sappemeer, and Stadskanaal. The Jews were chiefly engaged in the cattle trade, or dealt in haberdashery. In 1789 the community numbered 396. After 1848 the Orthodox members formed a separate congregation Teschuat Israel, erecting their own synagogue and acquiring a separate portion of the cemetery. The congregations reunited in 1881. In the second half of the 19th century Groningen became the seat of a chief rabbi.
שם המו"ל-המדפיס במעטפת השמאלית.
עברית והולאנדית, בדרך כלל עמוד מול עמוד.