||A certificate signed in German by Dr. Moritz Wallach on a form which has a Hebrew heading (stating that it is from Dr. Moshe Wallach) printed in German block and script letters. An appeal for clean ritual baths in all the different quarters of Jerusalem both for hygiene and for ritual (religious) purposes.
Dr. Moritz Wallach (1866–1957), pioneer of medicine in Erez Israel. Wallach, born in Cologne, Germany, received an Orthodox education, and studied medicine at Berlin and Wuerzburg. In 1891 he settled in Jerusalem and opened a clinic in the Old City. With financial support from Amsterdam and Frankfort he purchased land at a deserted spot outside the city walls for the establishment of a modern hospital. Named Sha'arei Zedek ("Gates of Righteousness"), the hospital was opened in 1902. Attached to it was a small farm. He served as director of the hospital until his retirement in 1947, giving it its Orthodox stamp.