||This item is issue #52 of this journal, which was put out by the Deutsch-Israelitischen Gemeindebund. The Deutsch-Israelitischen Gemeindebund was an association of Jewish corporations in Germany, founded July 3, 1869, on the occasion of the Jewish synod at Leipsig, and incorporated Feb. 13, 1899. The federation has for its object the exchange of experiences in matters of administration, and especially the promotion of the common interests of German Jews, excluding, however, from its sphere of activity all matters relating to ritual. It directs its attention chiefly to education and charity. It grants subsidies for religious instruction to the smaller communities, and helps the needy by assisting them to take up agricultural and technical pursuits. At the same time it provides for the training of religious teachers and cantors, and for pensions to aged officials of the congregations or to their families, contends against the evil of strolling beggars, and furnishes aid for released convicts. These objects are enumerated in section two of its constitution of Nov. 15, 1898.
At the head of the federation, which at present includes two legally established boards (in Baden and Wärttemberg), ten provincial and district congregational associations ("Verbände"), and 750 congregations, are a president and a board of thirty-six members. This board appoints delegates in the various communities (numbering 118 in 1903) to watch the interests of the federation. The first two presidents were Jacob Nachod and Moritz Kohner, in Leipsic. When the society moved from Leipsig to Berlin in 1882 Dr. S. Kristeller became president; in 1896 ill health compelled him to resign the office to the present incumbent, Dr. Martin Philippson, formerly professor at the University of Brussels. A regular meeting of delegates is held every four years. The business of this meeting comprises the hearing of the report of the board, as well as that of the treasurer, etc. The last meeting, the ninth since the existence of the federation, was held in Berlin Feb. 23-24, 1902.