||Approximately 600 receipts and invoices of the branch Synagogue during its first two years of operation in Great Portland Street. On July 14, 1853 fifteen members of the Great Synagogue visited a warehouse at 120 Great Portland Street which might be converted into a suitable branch Synagogue. It was agreed that this building be taken on a forty-two-years lease. The representatives of the Great Synagogue mentioned in the lease are: Mr. Lewis Jacobs, Mr.Joshua Alexander, Sir Anthony de Rothschild, and Mr. Louis Nathan. £350 was paid for the lease. Consecration of the Great Portland Street Synagoguetook place on March 29, 1855. It is from that day that the congregation really dates and services commenced.
The United Synagogue association of Ashkenazi congregations in London – originally formed by the Great Synagogue, Duke's Place (c. 1690), and four other constituent synagogues – which was established by Act of Parliament on July 14, 1870. The project was initiated by Chief Rabbi Nathan Marcus Adler in 1866 and the organizational work developed under his son and successor, Hermann Adler. The United Synagogue (popularly known as the "U.S.") rapidly became one of the most powerful centralized bodies of its type in the Jewish world.