PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at
Auction End Date
4/1/2008 11:13:00 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Statuten der israel. Cultusgemeinde in Marienbad
[Community - Only Ed.]
Im Selbstverlag der israel.Cultusgemeinde
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
Only edition. 39 pp., 196:123 mm., light age staining. A crisp copy bound in the original wrappers.
Statutes of the Jewish community organization in Marienbad, town in W. Bohemia, Czech Republic. The first Jew settled in Marienbad in 1820; prior to this time Jews only went to Marienbad during the health cure season. The Jewish community grew, as did the town, during the 19th century, drawing its settlers mainly from the Drmouly communities. Many foreigners also settled there. Instrumental in the development of Marienbad was the professor and balneologist Samuel Basch, whose statue was removed by the Nazis, and reerected in 1970. On the initiative of Prague notables a Jewish hospice with a prayer room was built in 1861, with the help of gifts from Jewish visitors. Another balneologist, Heinrich Enoch Kisch, also lived in Marienbad, contributing greatly to its development. He was the head of the Jewish hospice and a street was named for him. In 1875 a congregation was constituted and in 1884 a synagogue was dedicated. Marienbad was very popular among Russian Jewry at the end of the 19th century. According to the municipal election statute (in force until 1918), no Jew could be elected to the municipal council. The community numbered 405 in 1930 (3.3% of the total population). In 1937 the great assembly (Keneset ha-Gedolah) of Agudat Israel was held in Marienbad.
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica