||Chronicle on the city of Dubno and its rabbis by R. Phineheas ben Isaiah Pesis. Ir Dubno records events and personalities from 1600 until the present, that is the beginning of the twentieth century. Ir Dubno is built upon the rabbis who resided and served there, it being a center of rabbinic studies. There are approbations from R. Solomon Buber and R. Abraham Berliner. The text, comprised of four chapters, is set in a single column in square letters.
Dubno, city in Volhynia , Ukraine. Jews in Dubno are first mentioned in documents of 1532 in connection with the ownership of cattle. The oldest tombstone inscription in the Jewish cemetery dates from 1581. At the beginning of the 17th century Isaiah ha-Levi Horowitz , author of Shenei Luhot ha-Berit , was rabbi in Dubno. The community was represented on the council of the province (galil) of Volhynia. On the eve of the Chmielnicki uprising there were about 2,000 Jews in Dubno. In 1648–49, most of the Jews were massacred because the Poles refused to permit them to take refuge in the fortress. According to tradition the graves of the martyrs were located near the eastern wall of the great synagogue, where it was customary to mourn them on the Ninth of Av.
The Jewish community was reestablished shortly afterward under the patronage of the owners of the town, the princes Lubomirski, who accorded it special privileges in 1699 and 1713. By the beginning of the 18th century Dubno had become the largest Jewish community in Volhynia, being represented on the Council of the Four Lands and earning the sobriquet "Dubno the Great" (Dubno Rabbati). Its delegate, R. Meir ben Joel, was chosen to be head (parnas) of the Council of the Four Lands in the late 1750s. As many blood libels occurred then in Poland, R. Meir sent his relative R. Eliokim-Zelig of Yampol to the pope in Rome, to get bull against the libels, which he published in Latin and Polish. Jewish polltax payers numbered 1,923 in 1765. The great fair of Lvov was moved to Dubno between 1773 and 1793, and the city became an important commercial center. The most famous of the 18th-century Jewish preachers of Lithuania, Jacob *Kranz , was known as the Maggid of Dubno after the city with which he was most closely associated. In the 19th century Haskalah (Enlightenment) activists like the physician and writer Reuben Kalischer, the lexicographer and poet Solomon Mandelkern (author of a monumental Bible concordance), and the poet and writer Abraham Baer *Gottlober lived there. In 1780 the Jewish population numbered 2,325, in 1847, 6,330, and in 1897, 7,108 (about half the total). A main occupation was dealing in grain and hops. During World War I and the civil war in Russia (to 1921), the city changed hands a number of times and the community suffered extreme hardship, mainly of an economic nature. In March 1918 the Cossacks staged a pogrom killing 18 Jews. While Dubno belonged to Poland (1921–39), the community maintained many cultural institutions and there was an active Zionist and pioneer movement. In 1921 they numbered 5,315 (total population 9,146), and in 1931, 7,364 (total population 12,696).
The following list of Dubno rabbis extends from 1600 to the present time: Isaiah ha-Levi Hurwitz (1600-06), author of "Shene Luḥot ha-Berit." Samuel b. Aaron ha-Levi Hurwitz (1625-30), cousin of Isaiah Hurwitz. Ẓebi (Hirsch) b. Ozer, son-in-law of Abraham Ḥayyim Shor, chief rabbi of Satanow; author of . Meïr b. Moses Ashkenazi, the father of Shabbethai Kohen (ShaK); died at Dubno Nov. 25, 1649. Judah ha-Ḥasid, martyred 1649. Abraham Heilprin (1660-62), son-in-law of the physician Jehiel Michael Epstein. Naḥman b. Meïr ha-Kohen Rapoport (also called Naḥman Lifsches); died in 1674; previously rabbi of Kremenetz (Volhynia) and Belz (Galicia); took part in the Council of Four Lands at the fair of Jaroslaw. Moses b. Joseph, died at Lemberg May 22, 1684. Israel b. Mordecai Yolis (also called Israel Swinhar). Simḥah b. Naḥman ha-Kohen Rapoport, died at Szebreczin July 15, 1717; son-in-law of Israel b. Mordecai; replaced the latter in the rabbinate of Dubno from 1682 to 1688; rabbi of Grodno to 1714, of Lublin to 1717; called to the rabbinate of Lemberg in the same year; he died on his way there. Joseph b. Judah Yüdel of Lublin, died April 13, 1706; wrote a work entitled "Ne'imah Ḳedoshah," containing moral precepts and a poem for the Sabbath. Samuel b. Shalom Shakna of Cracow, died at Brody June 22, 1729. Isaac b. Saul Ginzburg (1712-15). Eleazar b. Issachar Baer of Cracow (1715-1719), maternal grandfather of Ezekiel Landau. Heschel b. Eleazar (also called R. Heschel "der Kleiner"), died July 25, 1729. Zalman Ephraim b. Saul. Abraham b. Samuel Kahana, died 1741; previously rabbi of Brody and Ostrog (Volhynia). IsaacMoses b. Abraham Kahana (d. 1745). Saul b. Aryeh Löb, born at Reischo 1717; died at Amsterdam June 19, 1790; son-in-law of Abraham Kahana and author of "Binyan Ariel" (1745-55). Naphtali Herz b. Ẓebi Hirsch (d. May 17, 1777). Ze'eb Wolf b. Naphtali Herz, born at Brody 1745; died at Dubno 1800; previously rabbi of Radzivil, Volhynia; his responsa were published in the "Tif'eret Ẓebi" of Ẓebi Hirsch, rabbi of Brody (Lemberg, 1811). Nathan ha-Levi Hurwitz. Ḥayyim Mordecai Margaliot, brother-in-law of Nathan Hurwitz and author of "Sha'are Teshubah." Ḥayyim Jacob b. Ze'eb Wolf, previously rabbi of Rovno, Volhynia; died Sept. 25, 1849. David Ẓebi Auerbach, son-in-law of Ḥayyim Jacob and author of "Malbushe Ṭaharah" (unpublished). Menahem Mendel Auerbach, son of David Ẓebi, is the present (1903) incumbent.