||Broadside printed on both sides. On one side is a printed letter signed by R. Samuel Salant and by R. Elijah David Rabinowitz-Teomim asking the Jews of Russia and Poland to continue the tradition of donating funds to charity boxes that are designated for Erez Yisrael (under the overall name of Rabbi Meir Baal Ha-Nes) and in fact declaring it to be FORBIDDEN to designate a different charity in its place The letter is divided into two columns. One is in Hebrew and one in Yiddish.
The other side of the sheet of paper is headed
äãáø àùø éâéãå ìê ìà úñåø îï.
On this side there are three groups of Rabbis whose names were included in the decree not to change the certificate for the Rabbi Meir Baal Ha-Nes charity. 1) Great people of the previous generation --Rabbis such as R. Aryeh Leib Katzenellenbogen, R. Hayyim of Volozhin, etc.; 2) Great people of the generation that passed – Rabbis such as R. Yitzhak Elhahan of Kovno, R. Yitzhak Meir of Slobodka, R. Naftali Tzvi Hirsch Berlin, etc.; 3) Great people of the present generation – a listing of Rabbis such as R. Dovid Friedman, of Pinsk, R. Shlomo son of R. Yisrael Moshe HaKohen of Vilna, etc.
R. Samuel Salant (1816–1909) was the chief rabbi of Jerusalem and one of the foremost 19th-century rabbis in Jerusalem. Born near Bialystok (Russia, now Poland), R. Salant studied at yeshivot in Vilna, Salant, and Volozhin. His second wife was the daughter of R. Joseph Sundel Salant, who inspired the Musar movement, and he continued studying at his father-in-law's house. He set out for Erez Israel in 1840, but was delayed for a few months in Constantinople, where he first met Sir Moses Montefiore, with whom he established a firm friendship. In 1841 he reached Jerusalem, where the heads of the kolel Lita appointed him rabbi of the Ashkenazi community. A leading figure in Jerusalem, he became Ashkenazi chief rabbi in 1878, holding the position until his death. R. Salant strove to develop the institutions of the Ashkenazi community, which increased from 500 members at his arrival to 30,000 at the time of his death, and succeeded in obtaining for the Ashkenazim the official status previously enjoyed only by the Sephardi community. Between 1848 and 1851 and in 1860 he traveled to several European countries to collect money for religious institutions in Jerusalem. Salant was a founder of the Ez Hayyim Talmud Torah and Yeshivah, the Bikkur Holim Hospital, and the Keneset Israel General Committee, which united all the kolelim under a single administration. He also encouraged the establishment of the Jewish quarters, such as Me'ah She'arim, Keneset Israel, and others, outside the Old City walls.
R. Salant lived an exemplary life of the utmost frugality. He devoted himself without stint to the needs of his community, even in the last years of his long life when his eyesight was affected. In his method of study he tended toward the plain meaning, eschewing pilpul, and followed the minhag of R. Elijah b. Solomon Zalman, the Gaon of Vilna. He was an outstanding posek, distinguishing himself by his power of decision, and showed a definite tendency toward leniency in his decisions.
R. Elijah David Rabinowitz-Teomim(1842/43–1905)was the Ashkenazi chief rabbi of Jerusalem. R. Elijah David was born in Pikeln, Lithuania. As R. Elijah David was a twin, his brother being Zevi Judah, the name Teomim ("twins") was added to the family surname. Elijah David was known from his youth as an unusual genius and in 1874 was chosen rabbi of the community of Ponevezh. In 1893 he was appointed rabbi of Mir which was renowned for its large yeshivah. His period at Mir was regarded as the creative period of his life. There he published the most notable of his works, as well as articles which appeared in many periodicals, Ha Tevunah, Ha-Me'assef, Kevod ha-Levanon, Ha-Zofeh, Ha-Maggid, Keneset Hakhmei Yisrael, Ittur Soferim, Keneset ha-Gedolah, etc. In Mir he wrote no less than a hundred works, especially notes and glosses to the Talmud, Maimonides' Mishneh Torah, the Tur of R. Jacob b. Asher, the Shulhan Arukh, and responsa. His novellae and glosses on the Jerusalem Talmud entitled Tuv Yerushalayim appeared in the Romm-Vilna edition (1922) and those on the Tur Hoshen Mishpat entitled Et Devar ha-Mishpat in the El ha-Mekorot (1959) edition of the Turim. His extraordinary erudition is discernible in his novellae and notes, and his great knowledge of historical matters from his correspondence on these subjects with Jacob Reifmann, R. Isaac Hirsch Weiss, and others.
In 1899 a new period of his life commenced. When R. Samuel Salant reached an advanced age and asked for a successor to be appointed chief rabbi of Jerusalem, extended negotiations with rabbis of the Diaspora began. At the recommendation of R. Hayyim Ozer Grodzinski of Vilna, R. Elijah David was officially appointed in 1901. He succeeded in uniting the Jerusalem community, which was split into various kolelim and suffered from inner dissension between the perushim (the non-hasidic Ashkenazi community) and the Hasidim, and in forming a single organization for shehitah. He was also active in many communal spheres. He was the first treasurer of the Bikkur Holim hospital, made regulations for institutions of learning and charity, particularly in the yeshivah Ez Hayyim, and arranged strict supervision of shops and merchants. His local regulations and customs are still in force, included in the annual calendar which is published by the Ez Hayyim yeshivah.