23:15:45


[Login]   
[Book List]  

PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at www.virtualjudaica.com/
.

 
Bidding Information
Lot #    20299
Auction End Date    4/1/2008 11:23:00 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
          
Title Information
Title (English)    Kashat divre emet
Title (Hebrew)   
Author    R. Samuel Salant & R. J. L. Diskin
City    Jerusalem
Publisher    Rabbi Meir Baal Ha-Ness
Publication Date    1889
          
Collection Information
Independent Item    This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
          
Description Information
Physical
Description
   Flyer, 233:145 mm., light age staining.
          
Detailed
Description
   This is a printed sheet of paper certifying that donations made to the Rabbi Meir Baal Ha-Ness charity are being used for truly charitable purposes, such as Bikur Cholim Hospital, an orphanage, a yeshiva, etc. and that that it is fitting and proper for charity boxes in England and America to be used for these causes. The certificate is imprinted with the names of R. Samuel Salant and R. J. L. Diskin (Moshe Yehoshua Yehuda Leib Diskin) as signatories.

R. Samuel Salant (18161909) was the chief rabbi of Jerusalem and one of the foremost 19th-century rabbis in Jerusalem. Born near Bialystok (Russia, now Poland), R, Salant studied at yeshivot in Vilna, Salant, and Volozhin. He set out for Erez Israel in 1840, but was delayed for a few months in Constantinople, where he first met Sir Moses Montefiore, with whom he established a firm friendship. In 1841 he reached Jerusalem, where the heads of the kolel Lita appointed him rabbi of the Ashkenazi community. A leading figure in Jerusalem, he became Ashkenazi chief rabbi in 1878, holding the position until his death. Salant strove to develop the institutions of the Ashkenazi community, which increased from 500 members at his arrival to 30,000 at the time of his death, and succeeded in obtaining for the Ashkenazim the official status previously enjoyed only by the Sephardi community. Between 1848 and 1851 and in 1860 he traveled to several European countries to collect money for religious institutions in Jerusalem. Salant was a founder of the Ez Hayyim Talmud Torah and Yeshivah, the Bikkur Holim Hospital, and the Keneset Israel General Committee, which united all the kolelim under a single administration. He also encouraged the establishment of the Jewish quarters, such as Me'ah She'arim, Keneset Israel, and others, outside the Old City walls. He tried to lessen the friction between the veteran settlement and the new yishuv, combated the activities of the mission schools and ameliorated the relations between the Ashkenazi and Sephardi communities. Salant lived an exemplary life of the utmost frugality. He devoted himself without stint to the needs of his community. He was an outstanding posek, distinguishing himself by his power of decision, and showed a definite tendency toward leniency in his decisions.

R. Moses Joshua Judah Leib Diskin (18171898)was a halakhist, and leader of the old yishuv in Jerusalem. Diskin was born at Grodno, where he achieved fame as a child prodigy. From 1844 he was rabbi successively at Lomza, Mezhirech, Kovno, and Shklov, and from 1873 at Brest-Litovsk (Brisk), hence his title the "Brisker Rov." He immigrated to Erez Israel in the summer of 1877. He settled in Jerusalem where he served as rabbi until his death, enjoying the esteem of the whole community. He was one of the most prominent rabbis of his generation, who, in addition to a life of Torah study, was in the vanguard of Orthodox activism, leading the fight against all expressions of modernity and modern culture in Erez Israel and advocating complete dissociation of the religious from the irreligious.

R. Diskin was active in establishing several communal institutions in Jerusalem. In 1880 he founded the orphanage which still bears his name. He actively supported the foundation in 1887 of the Joint Shehitah Board of the Ashkenazim, Perushim (the non-hasidic Ashkenazim), and Hasidim, and together with R. Salant headed that body, which abolished the separate shehitah arrangements of these communities. He directed the Ohel Moshe (now called Tiferet Yerushalayim) yeshivah, where he also taught and gave his approval to the establishment of a separate community for immigrants from America.

          
Reference
Description
   EJ
        
Associated Images
1 Image (Click thumbnail to view full size image):
  Order   Image   Caption
  1   Click to view full size  
  
  
Listing Classification
Period
19th Century:    Checked
  
Location
Israel:    Checked
  
Subject
History:    Checked
Polemics:    Checked
  
Characteristic
First Editions:    Checked
Language:    Hebrew
  
Manuscript Type
  
Kind of Judaica
  
Posters:    Checked