||Three issues of this Yiddish weekly newspaper, whose title means the Jewish Voice, dated from Elul 5798 to Shvat 5739. These issues are numbered 135, 138,139 and 152. This newspaper was published in Pietrokov from 1935-1939 under the auspices of Agudat Israel.
Pietrokov, town in Lodz province, central Poland; known from 1578 as Piotrkow-Trybunalski. Several anti-Jewish resolutions were passed at state conventions held in Piotrkow during the 14th to 16th centuries, including a series of limitations by the Sejm (Diet) of 1562. Jews settled in Piotrkow from the first half of the 16th century. In 1569 Jews were permitted by the king to settle in the suburbs of Piotrkow and trade at the fairs there on payment of 30 ducats to the Christian guild. The Jews were expelled following a blood libel in 1590. During the greater part of the 17th century the municipality prevented Jews from entering Piotrkow, until 1679 when King John II Sobieski permitted Jews to return, to trade there, and to build a synagogue (completed in 1689). During the 1720s, under the first rabbi of Piotrkow, Eliakim Getz, a hevra kaddisha and Bikkur Holim were organized. In 1744 Jewish self-defense against an attack by the mob was successfully led by Ephraim Fishel. The Jews of the community (about 800) were then compelled to leave the city and settle in the suburbs (Nowa WiMs). A bet midrash was founded there in 1765, and a large synagogue was built by the merchant Moses Kazin in 1781.
After the second partition of Poland in 1793, Piotrkow passed to Prussia. In 1808 there were in Piotrkow 1,817 Jews (46% of the total population), and in 1827, 2,133 Jews (45% of the total). After the opening of the Warsaw-Vienna railway line and the development of industries in the region, Jews founded weaving mills in Piotrkow. A growing Jewish proletariat was employed in the timber and textile industries, and in services. In 1857 there were 4,166 Jews (42% of the total population). In 1861 Jews obtained electoral and elective rights on the municipal council. In 1864 a Hebrew printing press was set up in Piotrkow, which in 1900 published the Jerusalem Talmud. There were 30 hadarim, a talmud torah, two battei midrash, and a private secular school in this period. The Jewish hospital, founded in 1836, was also extended. In 1912 a Zionist workers' party was founded in Piotrkow. The community numbered approximately 5,400 in 1865, 9,370 (33.14%) in 1897, and by 1917 had increased to 14,890.
Some of the Jews that found shelter in Piotrkow during World War I left the town during the establishment of independent Poland (1918). In 1921 there were in Piotrkow 11,630 Jews (28% of the total population). Of the 33 members of the municipal council elected in 1919, seven were Jews. In the 1928 elections their number rose to eight. Piotrkow Trybunalski was an important Jewish cultural, religious and Hebrew publishing center, with three weekly Yiddish newspapers and numerous Jewish organizations and institutions.In the elections to the community council in 1935 six representatives of the Bund were elected. From 1924 to 1931, R. Meir Shapiro, leader of the Agudat Israel, served as rabbi of Piotrkow.