23:13:40


[Login]   
[Book List]  

PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
at our new website at www.virtualjudaica.com/
.

 
Bidding Information
Lot #    22235
Auction End Date    12/23/2008 11:15:00 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
          
Title Information
Title (English)    Chautauqua System of Jewish Education
Title (Hebrew)    ... Hebrew Course 1
Author    [Reform] Gerson B. Levi
City    Philadelphia
Publisher    Jewish Chautauqua Society
Publication Date    1911
          
Collection Information
Independent Item    This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
          
Description Information
Physical
Description
   Fourth edition. [2], 68 pp., 177:120 mm., light age staining. A very good copy bound in the original boards.
          
Detailed
Description
   Hebrew lessons arranged by the Chautauqua system of education. The Jewish Chautauqua Society (JCS) was founded by Reform Rabbi Henry Berkowitz (1857–1924), of Philadelphia, as a program to educate Jews about their Judaism in 1893. Berkowitz was born in Pittsburgh, Pa. He was a member of the first graduating class of Hebrew Union College in 1883. After occupying pulpits in Mobile, Alabama, and Kansas City, where he succeeded his brother-in-law Joseph Krauskopf, Berkowitz became rabbi of Congregation Rodeph Shalom, Philadelphia (1892). Despite opposition he eliminated many traditional forms from the practice of his congregation and brought it within the mainstream of advanced Reform. Berkowitz established in Philadelphia the Jewish Chautauqua Society, an educational and interfaith organization, and was its chancellor until his death. He took an active part in the establishment of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies in Philadelphia in 1901 and the Philadelphia Rabbinical Association in the same year. He was the first secretary of the Central Conference of American Rabbis. Among his publications are Kiddush or Sabbath Sentiments in the Home (1898) and Intimate Glimpses of a Rabbi's Career (1921).

The Jewish Chautauqua Society evolved from an organization dedicated to popularizing Jewish knowledge among Jews to one devoted to teaching non-Jews about Judaism. Modelled on Chautauqua Institution, the Society established reading circles, a Correspondence School for Hebrew Sunday School teachers, religious schools for the children of Jewish farmers, published textbooks, and, beginning in 1897, held annual assemblies for more than forty years.

Since 1939 the Society has been under the sponsorship of the National Federation of Temple Brotherhoods, a lay Reform organization. It expanded the programs of the JCS, and today primarily supports rabbinic resident lectureships on Judaism at colleges and universities throughout the United States, an outgrowth of university lectures that the JCS began in 1909. Since its inception, the JCS has sought to combat anti-Semitism, dispel prejudice, and create understanding - through education about a minority and religious ethnic component of American society.

          
Reference
Description
   EJ; http://www.jcpa.org/jpabsp98.htm
        
Associated Images
2 Images (Click thumbnail to view full size image):
  Order   Image   Caption
  1   Click to view full size  
  
  2   Click to view full size  
  
  
Listing Classification
Period
20th Century:    Checked
  
Location
America-South America:    Checked
  
Subject
Children’s Literature:    Checked
Reform:    Checked
  
Characteristic
Language:    English, Hebrew
  
Manuscript Type
  
Kind of Judaica