||A booklet containing the bylaws of an organization called Freien Vereinigung für die Interessen des Orthodoxen Judentums" (Free Union for the Interests of Orthodox Judaism), an alliance of traditionalist Jewish communities throughout Europe, which was founded by R. Samson Raphael Hirsch in 1885-86. "It had been conceived after the model of the 'Jewish teaching and charitable organizations spread all over the globe.' But, more than that, Hirsch has projected it to constitute the authoritative Jewish public body, the true representative of Orthodoxy in Germany in order to explain and defend Torah-true Judaism before state and society."
After R. Hirsch's death in 1888, his son Naphtali became secretary of the organization. This "precious legacy of Rabbi Hirsch", although it had limited usefulness and no great political influence, was regarded as "a bulwark of pure, independent Orthodoxy."