||A personalized Confirmation Booklet for Lina Gross, one of a class of 16 who were confirmed at the Confirmation Service which took place on Shavuoth, 1931. The booklet has a glued-in page which has portrait pictures of all the members of the class, as well as of R. Abraham Feldman, who was the Rabbi of Congregation Beth Israel in Hartford.
There is a certificate of Confirmation signed by the Rabbi and the Vice-President, with Lina Gross' name written in as well. The class motto was also written in: "To do justice, to love mercy. to walk humbly before G-d." The service included a processional using an organ, and a choir, hymns, Bible offering, prayer offerings,et al. Lina Gross spoke on "Our debt to society".
At the end of the booklet are blank pages for autographs (and Lina Gross seems to have gotten the autographs of each of the members of her class).
Established in 1843, Congregation Beth Israel is Connecticut’s oldest Jewish congregation. The first synagogue was built in Hartford in 1876 and lives on today as the Charter Oak Cultural Center. It moved from that location to its present home in West Hartford in 1936.
Committed to the advancement of Judaism and the Reform movement, Congregation Beth Israel was among the founding members of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (now the Union for Reform Judaism) in 1877.
Today,it is one of the largest Reform congregations in the Northeast, serving approximately 3,000 members of diverse backgrounds. Beth Israel bridges the past with the present — and the future — by striving to remain a meaningful and inspiring force in the lives of its members.