Nagykanizsa is a medium-sized city in Zala County in southwestern Hungary. It is also known in Hungarian as Kanizsa. It is almost certain that Jews were living in Nagykanizsa in 1710, and by 1745 the community owned a synagogue. The first inscription in the register of the hevra kaddisha dates from 1782. The community was officially established in 1786 and the new bet midrash was erected in 1805. The community of Nagykanizsa was among the first to join the Reform movement, although only after bitter disputes.