||A register for donations (no entries) with introductory letter in Hebrew and Hungarian authorizing the holder to solicit funds on behalf of the synagogue. The document is signed by two members of the synagogue and sealed.
Budapest, the capital of Hungary, was formed officially in 1873 from the towns of Buda, Obuda, and Pest, which each had Jewish communities. A Jewish community was formed in Ofen by the end of the 11th century. Organized Jewish communal life in Buda dates to the 13th century. Under King Matthias Corvinus (1458–90) the head of this community had jurisdiction over the Jews of the entire country. During the Ottoman era, Buda Jewry had Sephardi and Ashkenazi congregations. Two synagogues are known to have existed in 1647.