Although the Oxford (Clarendon) press has a long and illustrious history few Hebrew books were printed there in its early years. The first Hebrew book printed at Oxford appears to have been an edition of the Mishnah, with a Latin version by Samuel Clarke, in 1667. The next was a part of Maimonides' Mishneh Torah, with translation and notes by H. Prideaux, in 1679. Hyde’s Hebrew treatises on chess were also produced in Oxford, in 1694, and Clavering’s Talmud Torah - a text and translation of Maimonides' Yad - in 1705, all by the Clarendon Press. A Compendium of Hebrew Grammar is one of the few early Oxford Hebrew imprints.